Saturday, July 21, 2012

2 Weeks End; 1 Year Begins


What has two thumbs and is less than 24 hours away from leaving for South America? This guy, along with 12 other great people. Can I believe the day I've been thinking about since April is tomorrow? Not  a chance. It doesn't quite feel "real" yet, but then again, I suppose it won't until I'm on the plane. Maybe not even then.

These two weeks have been a blessing. As I mentioned earlier, Wednesday and Thursday we left for a completely Silent Retreat at an amazingly nice retreat center. I was somewhat nervous, having never done a silent retreat, but it turned out to be great. I had been pretty stressed, nervous, distracted...and having no agenda those two days allowed me to finally let myself settle down. I was actually more productive than I think I ever have been in two days, with some accomplishments including: reading The Alchemist front to back, memorizing 126 spanish verbs, saving a turtle's life, writing a song, having a great discussion with a spiritual director, and doing some photography, especially of a little bug who was totally photogenic.


It was a time for me to just settle into the idea of this year. To not be so "in my head" about leaving, and to think about what I was nervous about, what I am excited about, and the reason for all of it. I've had an amazing support system thus far, and this week just expanded it even more. Of course I'm still nervous, and I know there will be ups and there will be downs. Maybe seemingly more of one than the other, but to quote The Alchemist, "The secret in life, though, is to fall seven times and to get up eight times." I can't know everything that's going to happen, and I'm throwing myself into a world which I do not know, but I have to believe that that is how I'll grow and it feels right. These two weeks, if anything, have reassured me that I chose the right program. Everything seems to fit, and now I just have to do it. They've prepared us, we've made some great new friends who in such similar points in their lives, and they're trusting us to take what we've learned and take ourselves into these places to do work inspired by love.

We leave in the morning, we have a layover in Miami, and then we arrive in Guayacil at night where all of this last year's volunteers will be waiting to welcome us. It's a surreal thought, but I think I'm ready. And if I weren't...Oh well!

This will be my last blog for a little while until I get situated and move into my house, but as soon as I can I promise I'll give an update!

Amor y Paz.

P.S. Click here for pictures until I can get a link going on the side!

The sunset last night a BC. A pretty nice way to end these weeks.

1 comment:

  1. Michael - I know this will be a great year for you! I am so excited and happy you have the opportunity to do this. I miss you terribly but look forward to living this journey with you through your blog posts! Take care and be safe, my son!
    Miss you lots, love you so much more! ~ Mom

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now open to everyone. I'd love to hear from you!